Social Security is a basic right for every citizen wherever he/she resides in accordance with the United Nation Human Right Declaration of 1948. Its implementation was followed up with ILO Social Security No. 102 Declaration of 1952.
Putting into consideration how vital is the question of Social Security; the Revolutionary Government of Zanzibar has been implemented this great responsibility by taking the following steps
- Establishment Act No.15 of 1986-The Workmen’s Compensation Act
- Establishment Act No. 4 of 1988- The Retirement Benefit Act which has been amended by
- Establishment Act No.1 of 1990- The Pensions(Political Appointees)
- Establishment Act No.2 of 1990- The Pension Act
- Establishment Act No.2 of 1995- The Zanzibar Trading and Consumer Protect Act
A discrepancy between different acts ahead of ZSSF is that they solely benefited Public sector workers.
SOCIAL SECURITY UNDER ZSSF
ZSSF has been established under Act No. 2 of 1998 as amended by Act No. 9 of 2000 and amended by the Government Notice of 2004 and eventually re-appealed and re-enacted ZSSF Act No.2 of 2005 Act No. 2 of 2005
FUNCTIONS OF ZSSF
Under section 5 of ZSSF Act No. 2 of 2005 ZSSF shall have the following functions:
- To receive all the contributions and other moneys which are required to be paid into the Fund.
- To keep and maintain register of all members and employer contributing to the fund and any other register that the Board may advice.
- To establish and maintain record for each member in respect of all payment made by way of contribution.
- To invest the money collected in any viable venture as the Board may consider appropriate.
- To operate and operate its own bank account on condition set by the Board
- To pay benefits to members or their dependants in accordance with the provisions of the Act.
- To manage and administer the contribution in accordance with the provision of this Act.
- To obtain the services of any person or institution private or public, to perform any specific act or function.
- To engage in any activity whether alone or together with other organization in Tanzania or elsewhere, to promote proper, efficient and effective social security administration.
- To do all such acts and thing and to enter into all transaction as in the opinion of the Board may be necessary for the proper and efficient administration of the Fund.